Sunday, March 2, 2008

Solar Ascention


http://www.youtube.com/timhavens
About This Video
This mornings "Shoot" again at Thunder Hill, ne...
(more)
Added: March 02, 2008
This mornings "Shoot" again at Thunder Hill, near Blowing Rock, NC was not particularly spectacular but it was still a very pleasant experience. There are about 500 Still images in this time-lapsed video. I think my favorite images where of the Moon and I'm sure that youtubes compression will limit the beauty of it for you, but the new 70-200mm Sigma telephoto lens with a 2x tele-converter really proved to me it's worth with these lunar shots.

The Blue Ridge Parkway was closed, CLOSED!!! once again, and I can't tell you how it tweaks me that they barricade the road when there is a potential for ice on it. I wanted to get back to a beautiful stream in a section that is inaccessible when it's closed off this weekend. Just friggin burns me up when they do this. :(

There were numerous deer along the ride up, and although I searched for hours I didn't see any when I had the camera at the ready this time. Almost seems unusual when I don't see some actually.

I hope you enjoy this video. The music is outstanding and fits the mood of my morning I think. :-)

Music is "Solar Ascension (Chilled & Lush Mix) By Al-Pha-X (not the complete mix it was too long this time)

1 comment:

Andy Frazer said...

Tim,

You're a difficult person to get hold of :-) I couldn't find your email address anywhere...

In order to get a 40D (and most dSLR's) to take an exposure longer than 30 seconds, you need to set the camera to "M" mode, set the exposure to "bulb" (it's the only shutter speed after 30" when you're selecting the shutter speeds), and you need to buy a remote locking release (also called a cable release). When the camera is in bulb mode, the shutter stays open as long as you hold down the shutter button. The cable release lets you open the shutter and keep it locked open as long as you want, without shaking the camera.

I use the Canon Remote Timer, which is a bit expensive, but it lets you program the shutter time (or multiple exposures) from a dial, then it automatically takes care of everything.

Email me at andyfrazer [at] gorillasaites [dot] com if there's anything else I can help with.

Andy Frazer
http://gorillasites.blogspot.com